Registering A Vehicle For The First Time

  • To register a vehicle, you must provide the following:
  • Proof of ownership document (examples are; Lease Agreement, Bill Of Sale, Gift Letter, Will or Probate letter.)
  • New Vehicle Information Statement (N.V.I.S.) is for new vehicles only and are provided by the dealership. If they do not give you the N.I.V.S. you will need a missing NVIS letter and the factory invoice.
  • Proof of Valid Insurance.
  • An Out-Of-Province, Salvage or commercial Inspection (if applicable).

Renewal Of Vehicle Registrations

  • To renew your vehicle registration in person you will need to provide:
  • Proof of valid insurance (insurance must match the name on the registration).
  • Valid identification
  • To Register a vehicle on behalf of someone else you will need to provide:
  • The registration document (Original, fax, email, or original)
  • Proof of valid insurance s
  • Valid Identification a completed Authorization For Vehicle Services Form. filled in by you and given to the person with consent.

Transfer Of vehicle Registrations

  • A vehicle transfer service is used to request a transfer from one vehicle to another using the same licence plate.
  • Clients Require:
  • Valid identification
  • Proof of ownership
  • Proof of insurance
  • An authorization For Vehicle Services Form (Only if the registration or Bill Of Sale is in more than one name the authorization form is required).

Replacement of lost, stolen, or damaged licence plates

– If your licence plate is lost or stolen, please report it to the police. You then can visit our office and declare the plate lost or stolen

-If your licence plate becomes difficult to read due to wear or damage, it could result in a fine. Visit our office to receive a new plate and registration document.

To replace your lost or stolen licence plate you will need to provide:

  • Valid identification
  • Previous vehicle registration (If available).
  • proof of insurance (ONLY required if renewing your registration at the same time).
  • Authorization For Vehicle Services (this is only required when more than one person appears on the registration document).

Cancellation Of Vehicle Registration

Cancellation Requirements:

  • Valid Identification
  • Complete and sign the licence plate/ parking placard cancellation declaration.
  • Authorization For Vehicle Services (this is only required if the registration is in more than one name the Authorization form is required).

Vehicles Purchased Outside Of Alberta

-If you have bought a used vehicle outside of Alberta, you will need to complete one of the following:

  • Out Of Province Inspection


  • a salvage inspection (the status of the vehicle must show a salvage status in order to get this form).

A new vehicle may be exempt from the out of province inspection requirement depending on the date of sale, mileage and where it was purchased Check with our office for details

Vehicles Purchased Outside Of Canada

-If your vehicle is from out side of Canada, bring in all the following to get your request for inspection:

  • Valid Identification
  • Proof Of Ownership

To Register Your Imported Vehicle Or Out Of Province Vehicle, Provide The Following:

  • Proof of ownership
  • Proof of Alberta insurance
  • Valid identification
  • Out Of Province, Salvage or Commercial vehicle inspection
  • For new vehicles : A new vehicle information Statement or certificate of origin
  • A completed transport Canada Vehicle import form-Form 1 Vehicle import form-RIV or Vehicle Import form- RIV exempt
  • Authorization for vehicle services form (this form is required when the vehicle ownership or registration document is in more than one name. if the client has not been created in Alberta for motor vehicle services or for driver licensing services, they must appear at the registry office, no authorization can be given to create a client for the first time.

Replacement Of Lost Registration

-A lost registration service is processed when you require a copy of your current registration document. You will need to provide Valid Identification to receive the registration document.

In-Transit Permits

– An In-transit permit allows a person to move a vehicle or trailer from point A to point B

-The in-transit permit can be used in the following situations:

  • To move a vehicle between 2 points in Canada (7 days maximum)
  • To move a vehicle within Alberta (3 Days maximum)

-When you are moving the vehicle from one province to another, the starting point or ending point must be in Alberta.

Request an in-transit permit within Alberta:

  • Valid identification
  • Proof of insurance

To request an in-transit permit where you will be within Canada and the starting or ending point will be in Alberta, you need the following documents:

  • Valid identification
  • Proof of valid insurance
  • Proof of ownership

In-transit permits cannot be used to carry a load.