If you plan on operating a passenger or commercial vehicle in Alberta, it must be registered through an authorized agent such as Grimshaw Registry. While vehicle registrations are typically issued for a term of one year, Class 3 passenger vehicles may be eligible for a two-year term. Commercial vehicles are typically given registration terms of three months at a time.

Grimshaw Registry is available to help with all your vehicle registration and forms. Services for fleets and dealerships are also available. Please follow our link for all your motor vehicle needs forms.

 It’s the law: before you drive your new (or new-to-you) vehicle, you’ll need to get it registered.  Come into Grimshaw Registry to register your vehicle, and when you do, make sure to bring:

One piece of Government of Alberta approved photo ID or support document

Original bill of sale* (pdf), lease agreement, or will (sorry no faxes or photocopies allowed)

Original New Vehicle Information Statement (NVIS) from the dealer – this is needed only if your vehicle is new

Proof of valid Alberta liability insurance (pink card) in the name(s) to appear on the vehicle registration

If you’re under 18 years old (an adult must be present)

If two names appear on the ownership documents or are required for the vehicle registration, we require both signatures to complete the registration.

Sometimes you can’t do it all. A Letter of Authorization allows someone else to take care of a task (like registering your vehicle) on your behalf.

If you want to register a vehicle for the first time, renew your vehicle registration, transfer a vehicle registration, or cancel your vehicle registration, but can’t come in person to one of our Grimshaw Office, use the Authorization for Vehicle Registration (PDF) form to give someone else the ability to do so for you.