Keep your driver’s licence current by renewing it before its expiry date. Licence renewals have to be completed in person. Please Make sure to bring:
A First Service Is Done For Someone Who:
- An Alberta resident applying for a drivers licence or Identification card for the first time.
- The licence is expired for moth than 6 months.
- Is coming from Out Of Country or Out Of Province and applying for a new licence with driving history from that province or country.
- Your coming from Out of Country or Out Of Province and applying for a licence for the first time and have never had a drivers licence.
When your driver’s licence has been expired for 3 or more years, you must complete a vision screening, knowledge and road test.
- Provide acceptable identification .
- Proof of residency. (see Alberta residency documents and Canadian Residence documents)
- Provide knowledge test permit.
- Pass a vision screening and disclose all medical conditions/physical disabilities that may affect your ability to safely operate a motor vehicle.
- Surrender their drivers licence. (If coming from another province or country.)
An Operator renewal service is done for someone with a current Alberta driver’s licence.
- Provide acceptable identification.
- Surrender their previous Alberta driver’s licence.
An operator reclass is done to change the class of a drivers licence.
- Provide valid identification.
- You must have your knowledge test permit.
- You must have your road test permit.
- Successfully complete the mandatory entry level training for Class 1 and Class 2.
- Pass a vision screening
- You must disclose all medical conditions/physical disabilities that may affect your ability to safely operate a motor vehicle. If reclassing your licence to a Professional class licence (1,2, or 4) a person with a medical condition must provide a medical and or you are over the age of 75.
- Surrender their Alberta drivers licence.
Alberta Residence Documents:
At least one of the following types of original documents with your Alberta address may be presented as proof that you are living in Alberta
- Electronic utility bills showing an Alberta Address.
- Electronic cable Bill, Telephone bill. (cannot be a cellphone bill)
- Other non-utility statements of correspondence mailed to your Alberta address.
Original Mailed Statement Showing The Client’s Name & Alberta Address:
- Bank statement
- Alberta Social Benefits Statement.
- Other financial type statements.
- Income tax summary.
- Cell phone bill. (mailed to your home address, Cannot be electronic)
Other Documents Containing A Client’s Name & Physical Address:
- Residential lease agreement showing residential address.
- Written confirmation of Alberta employment including contact name and telephone number. (Must be current within the last 15 day)
- Written confirmation from an educational institution in Alberta indicating dependence are attending school full time.
- Copy of land title.
The documents must contain your full name, address and have a date of less than 90 days to ensure the information is reasonably current.
If you don’t have Alberta residency documents yet you have 90 days from the day you moved to Alberta to obtain these documentsand to change your drivers licence to Alberta.
Canadian Residence Documents:
At least one of the following types of Original documents must be provided as proof of Canadian residency when applying for and Alberta Drivers Licence or Alberta Health Care:
- Canadian Birth Certificate
- Canadian Citizenship Card
- Permanent Resident Card
- Record Of Landing
- Canadian Status Card
- Valid Canadian Passport
- Work or Study Permit (Must be valid for more than 90 days)
- Nexus Card
Out Of Province and Out Of Country clients will also need to provide their drivers licence and any other applicable documentation that may apply to their specific Country or Province.